The Department of History, National University of Singapore, invites applications for Two (2) Postdoctoral Fellowships.
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Post 1)
The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree (or is awaiting conferment) and has research interests and expertise in Empires in Asia. Preference will be given to a candidate with expertise in empires in Asia of the 18th century. This includes but is not limited to systems, concepts, theories and networks of empire, imperialism and colonization. The Fellow will work closely with faculty members in the Department on a research project in this area.
Postdoctoral Fellowship (Post 2)
The successful candidate will be someone who holds a PhD degree (or is awaiting conferment) and has research interests and expertise in Empires in Asia. Preference will be given to a candidate with expertise in the Ming and early Qing period, focusing on China. This includes but is not limited to systems, concepts, theories and networks of empire, imperialism and hegemony. The Fellow will work closely with faculty members in the Department on a research project in this area.
The terms and conditions for the Postdoctoral Fellowship (PDF) are as follows:
1. Contract to be awarded beginning from January 2012 tenable for one year and renewable, upon review, for a second year.
2. A stipend of S$4,500 per month.
3. An allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses for non-citizens (i.e. non-Singaporeans) and their spouses who do not own any property in Singapore and whose spouses are not in receipt of any form of housing benefits from their Singapore employers.
4. Singapore citizens and permanent residents are eligible for provident fund benefits.
5. Travel Assistance, payable once only, as follows.
€ · $2,000 for the Postdoctoral Fellow
€ · $2,000 for spouse
The above travel assistance is a contribution towards expenses incurred by the appointee and his/her dependants in re-locating to Singapore. Such expenses refer to costs for travel, packing, transportation and insurance of personal and professional effects as well as settling-in expenses. The travel allowance is contingent upon the Postdoctoral Fellow's completion of his/her initial one-year contract. In the event that the appointee does not fulfill the initial
one-year contract, the appointee shall be liable to refund the University a proportionate amount of the travel assistance granted to him/her and his/her dependants on appointment.
6. Foreign PDFs who are granted Singapore Permanent Residence will continue to receive an allowance of S$500 a month as contribution towards housing expenses. The allowance will cease once they acquire Singapore citizenship.
7. Medical benefits in accordance with the Medical Benefit Plan.
8. Vacation leave of 28 days per calendar year.
In addition, the postdoctoral fellow will be expected to
· Present at least one seminar a year;
· Give first right of refusal for at least one publication to a Department/Faculty- produced journal, where appropriate;
· Contribute to the activities of graduate students;
· Participate in a joint research project with NUS staff on Empires in Asia
The appointed PDF may be required to participate in some part-time teaching of up to 3 hours per week without additional pay. All application dossiers, including details about publications, research interests and teaching areas, as well as the names of two academic referees, should be submitted by 31 October 2011. The search will continue until an appointment is made. Please address and submit documents to:
Research Project "Empire in Asia: A New Global History"
Department of History
National University of Singapore
11 Arts Link
Email correspondence and attachments should be sent to: email@example.com
Visit our websites at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ for information on the Faculty, and http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/hist/ for information on the Department of History and the research project.
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!