The Database Research Group (https://dbresearch.uni-salzburg.at/) at the
Department of Computer Sciences, University of Salzburg, Austria, offers a
fully funded PhD position. The position is funded by the Austrian Science
(FWF) with a gross salary of about 28k EUR/year.
The PhD studies are in the context of the research project "FFTED - Fast and
Flexible Tree Edit Distance". The project aims at developing efficient
for similarity queries over structured data. The PhD student will design,
implement, and evaluate efficient algorithms, as well as integrate the
solutions into the context of database systems. The research results are
expected to be published in relevant international outlets.
The ideal candidate has:
- a master's degree in computer science, mathematics, or a related field
applicant may be in the process of finalizing the master studies)
- experience in the design and implementation of complex algorithms
- a good understanding of database concepts and their implementation
- very good programming skills, preferably in C/C++
- good English skills, at least B2 proficiency (CEFR scale)
- experience in technical writing in English
Salzburg, located in Austria at the foothills of the Alps, is well known for
its rich cultural heritage and world famous music, its romantic scenery, and
the popular skiing areas and hiking paths in the surroundings. Salzburg is
only 1.5 hours away from Munich and 2.5 hours from Vienna with frequent
- Application deadline: 28.02.2017.
Documents to be submitted:
- CV including also title, abstract, and name of supervisor of the master
thesis (in English), and a list of scientific publications (if any).
- Master diploma, or a confirmation of the final examination date.
- Transcript of records (in English) of BSc and MSc.
Submit the application as a single PDF file until 28.02.2017 to:
For all inquiries related to the position and application procedure, please
contact Nikolaus Augsten and Mateusz Pawlik at: