The Graduate School of Excellence ‘JSMC’ invites applications for PhD Student Fellowship (Ref.No. JSMC 55/2011) on the topic Computer Simulation of Transmembrane signaling in Host‐Pathogen Interactions Transmembrane signaling is a complex process involving soluble and membrane‐bound molecules and plays a central role in intercellular communication. The objective of this project is to model this communication by predictive computer simulations that combine
experimentally established facts on the receptor‐ligand binding kinetics in an agent‐based computational framework. The focus is on the interaction between the human pathogenic fungus Candida albicans and the complement system of the host.
• a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Natural Sciences (e.g., Physics, Bioinformatics, Theoretical Biology). Candidates about to obtain their degree are welcome to apply.
• experience in object‐oriented programming, preferentially using C++
• high motivation and interest in joining one of the interdisciplinary research areas of the JSMC
• creativity and interest in shaping your own thesis project
• an integrative and cooperative personality
• very good communication skills in English (the language of instruction at the JSMC)
• a highly communicative atmosphere within a scientific network providing top‐level research conditions
• a PhD stipend paid for three years according to the rules of the DFG (German Research Foundation) as well as generous research funding
• a comprehensive mentoring program with efficient supervision by a team of supervisors
• a top‐level PhD training program with courses in state‐of‐the‐art research technologies and soft skills
• Jena – the German City of Science 2008: a young and lively town with dynamic business activities, successful scientific centers of innovation and a vibrant cultural scene around the famous Friedrich Schiller University Friedrich Schiller University Jena is an equal opportunity employer.
The application procedure takes place exclusively online via the JSMC website: www.jsmc.uni‐jena.de
Benefits3 years stipend
Additional Job Details
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!