The Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology is one of 60 institutes of the Fraunhofer-Gesellsc haft. As one of the leading organizations for applied research in Europe it offers ambitious scientists challenging tasks coupled with responsibility and room for creativity.
At the Fraunhofer Institute for Cell Therapy and Immunology in Leipzig, Germany a position is immediately available:
Postdoctoral scientist (f/m) in molecular biology
The Fraunhofer IZI is coordinating a large collaborative project that aims at the identification and validation of biomarkers on the basis of the non-protein coding part of the human genome. The project focuses on diagnostic and prognostic questions of utmost relevance for patients and health economy. Participation of five Fraunhofer Institutes from different technical and
biomedical disciplines make this an outstanding highly interdisciplinary project striving to redefine the process of biomarker development.
We are searching for an outstanding and motivated Postdoc to join us to establish and coordinate tiling array and RNAseq analyses of patient samples to achieve new insights into the disease association of short and long non-coding RNAs.
He or she is expected (i_) to interact with clinical partners of the project to streamline the analysis process, coordinate sample logistics and refine research questions of the project, (ii_) to setup novel transcriptomic methods, establish the laboratory processes and develop standard operating procedures that safeguard the quality control and regulatory standards of the project, (iii_) to coordinate the technicians pursuing the high throughput transcriptomic analysis of clinical samples, (iv_) instruct PhD students working in the RNomics group, (v) to collaborate with bioinformaticians and statisticians of the group on developing data analysis processes and (vi) to interact with the engineering groups to establish automated laboratory processes and develop innovative laboratory devices.
Furthermore, we expect:
– The ideal candidate has a strong background in molecular biology, experience in transcriptomics and holds a PhD in biology, biochemistry or any equivalent discipline.
– He or she is familiar with high-throughput molecular techniques like microarrays and/or next generation sequencing and has a basic understanding of bioinformatic and statistic analysis of transcriptomic data sets. Familiarity with the R statistical framework and Unix/Linux operating systems is desirable.
– The candidate has a strong interest in biomedical, disease relevant research questions.
– In addition, the candidate should enjoy working on application oriented research, which involves presenting and marketing research results to industrial partners and contribute to raising funds from commercial and public sources.
– The candidate must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be capable of working within an interdisciplinary team. The candidate must have excellent written and verbal skills in English.
As one of the leading research companies in Europe we offer a variety of development and promotional opportunities:
– Working in an exciting, young and highly interdisciplinary research environment of biologists, biochemists and bioinformaticians with excellently equipped facilities
– f-determined work in our laboratory with an advanced equipment park
– attractive remuneration including performance- related components
– advanced training in complementary skills like science marketing, leadership, presenting, etc.
Employment, compensation and benefits are determined by the collective agreement for public service (TVÖD). The position is initially limited to the project end on 12/31/2013. To apply, please email a cover letter, CV (in English), a summary of your PhD thesis and related papers and contact information of three professional references to our personnel management:
anja.bochmann@ izi.fraunhofer. de
Questions regarding this positions should be directed to:
Dr. Jörg Hackermüller, joerg.hackermueller @izi.fraunhofer. de
Phone +49 341 35536-5205 .
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!