Academic Year 2010/2011
Deadline: 31st March, 2011
SISSA offers opportunities for carrying out Ph.D studies in:
· Applied Mathematics
· Astroparticle Physics
· Functional and Structural Genomics
· Mathematical Analysis
· Mathematical Physics
· Neuroscience (Neurobiology / Cognitive Neuroscience)
· Physics and Chemistry of Biological Systems
· Statistical Physics
· Theory of Elementary Particles
· Theory and Numerical Simulation of Condensed Matter
The Ph.D. courses in Applied Mathematics, Astroparticle Physics, Geometry, Mathematical Analysis, Mathematical Physics and Theory of Elementary Particles start in October; all other courses start in November of each year. They last 3 years and may be extended for a fourth year, subject to approval by the School authorities.
Students who are not citizens of European Union member states have two possibilities to be admitted to SISSA as a Ph.D student:
1. to pass a Spring preselection based on academic and scientific qualifications as well as on letters of reference. Students selected in this way will therefore enter the School without taking the regular entrance examination, but will be expected to pass a qualifying examination within the first year of study.
2. to pass the regular entrance examination (written and oral) held in Trieste.
Details can be found at the web page:
Applicants interested in participating in this pre-selection must have a University degree which qualifies them for a Ph.D programme.
The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Subject Test is recommended. Any further information which the candidate may consider useful will be welcome.
An online application must be filled and sent using the procedure available at the page
http://www.sissa.it/applications by the deadlines shown in the schedule of each Ph.D course.
Candidates should upload the following documents in pdf format:
- curriculum vitae et studiorum;
- a certificate of University examinations taken (with marks) in Italian, English, French, German or Spanish;
- a final degree certificate in Italian, English, French, German or Spanish;
- If, at the time of application, candidates should not be yet in possession of a degree certificate, they can submit it at the time of the examination.
European Union candidates can submit a personal declaration instead of the aforementioned certificates.
- a copy of the diploma thesis (if any).
Candidates will have to indicate the names and email addresses of two professors that will be asked to send a recommendation letter through the same online procedure.
A confirmation message will be sent to the candidate when he/she will complete the application process.
The candidate will then have to print out the admission request form, sign it and send it, together with a copy o fan ID document (i.e. passport) by fax or post to the address printed on the form itself.
The request form must reach SISSA by 7th April, 2011. Late arrival of the application, for whatever reason, will not be accepted.
All necessary information about the online procedure can be found at the page
For further information see http://wiki.sissa.it/students/ or contact the Students' Secretariat:
Trieste, January 2011
(Prof. G. Martinelli)
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!