Postdoctoral Associate – Behavioral Models for Land Use, Mobility and Energy and Resource Use (Ref: IRG_FM_2011_001)
Future Urban Mobility Interdisciplinary Research Group
To plan sustainable future urban mobility systems, we need a set of forecasting tools to help make well-informed, consistent assessments of future conditions under various scenarios. Behavioral models are at the heart of the approach. The objective is to develop state-of-the-art models to understand and forecast different behavioral rationales of households and firms.
The postdoctoral associate on this project will work on developing integrated behavioral models of human and commercial activities, land use (land and real estate development decisions and firm and household location decisions), transportation, environmental impacts, and energy use.
This will involve:
• Developing a full understanding of the transportation system and the real estate market context and related institutional structure (land ownership and sale, property ownership, etc.)
• Developing a full inventory of the data needs and availability, and designing appropriate survey instruments for the collection of such data; and
• Model specification, estimation, and validation.
The models will form the core of the simulation platform, SimMobility, that will allow the research team to simulate the effects of a portfolio of technology, policy, and investment options under alternative future scenarios. Hence, there will be close collaboration between researchers developing the behavioral models and researchers incorporating these models within SimMobility.
• PhD with a focus in: Transportation, Behavioral Modeling, Economics, and/or Statistics
• Strong background in discrete choice, statistical analysis, and survey design
• Prior experience with statistical estimation software such as Gauss or R is desirable
To apply, please visit our open positions website at: http://smart.mit.edu/jobs-at-smart/current-open-positions.html
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!