The successful candidate will do research to get a PhD in Biomedical Sciences. Our projects are focused on neuroimmunological repair strategies after brain and spinal cord injury with special emphasis on the use of anti-inflammatory mediators to enhance functional regeneration. The successful applicant will be working on “the use of stem cells as carriers of pro-regenerative factors after spinal cord injury”.
The project includes a rich spectrum of techniques such as cell and brain slice cultures, histology, molecular biology and behavior tests. We offer a highly interactive and well-equipped environment at the host. The BIOMED institute was established in 1999 and conducts biomedical research in two core areas: neuro-inflammation and the development of biosensors. Basic and
clinical research is organized in four strategic programs and much effort is put into academia-clinic interactions and academia-industry interactions for valorization of scientific findings. BIOMED employs approximately 120 persons including more than 35 PhD students.
The candidate will also participate in teaching macroscopic and microscopic neuroanatomy in the department of morphology for bachelor students in Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. She/He will also supervise master students in the School for Life Sciences. The UHasselt provides a high-performance and dynamic teaching concept based on supervised self studies in which researchers also play an active role.
Profile and diploma
We are looking for particularly motivated and ambitious scientists. Experience with stem cell culture and cell transfection will be greatly appreciated. The candidate must have excellent communication skills, a good knowledge of English, and must be highly motivated to work in a multidisciplinary team. For teaching purposes, the candidate must become fluent in Dutch within one year. Candidates must have an officially recognized master degree in biological,
(bio)medical or life sciences or equivalent with a molecular/cellular orientation. Last year students can also apply.
* Content job responsibilities:
* Research: Prof. dr. Sven Hendrix, 011 26 92 46, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Teaching: Prof. dr. Marjan Vandersteen, 011 26 85 12, email@example.com
* Content terms of employment and selection procedure: Yves Soen, 011-26 80 85, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must use the official application forms
* which are available at the Rectoraat of Hasselt University, Campus Diepenbeek, Agoralaan - building D, B-3590 Diepenbeek (Belgium), phone +32 - 11 - 26 80 10
* or which can be downloaded here pdf-file (http://www.uhasselt.be/download/APengelsUH.pdf) / Word format (http://www.uhasselt.be/download/APengelsUH.doc)
The completed application forms must reach the above mentioned address no later than October 15 2010.
Application by e-mail will only be taken into consideration when sent to the following address: jobs@uhasselt. be.
Please quote 10 Academic Resources Daily in your application to this opportunity!